Today, on the 1st of April, we have officially been around as an online magazine for six months! What a huge journey so far. Before we get on to talking about what is in store for this month (spoiler alert: it’s a big one), let’s take a little look at the past six months, through six of our favourite moments:
6 MOMENTS IN 6 MONTHS
- Launching our magazine with ten of the most wonderful mentors! We spent a lot of time thinking about who would be perfect to answer questions, and talk honestly about their career and musical journey, and we’re absolutely stoked with the response. Our ten mentors - Monica Curro, Phil Arkinstall, Stefan Cassomenos, Sally Whitwell, Ben Northey, Jacqui Dark, Chris Steller, Saul Lewis, Susan de Weger and Simon Bruckard - have been fantastic, offering support and encouragement to a huge array of students through our mentor profiles! Keep your eyes peeled over the next two months, as we unveil some new mentors for you!
- Your response to Madi Chwasta's "My Rehearsal Room". We had so many emails and messages about how much this piece hit home for young musicians, and we're so grateful that you shared your experiences with us! Madi is starting a new column in May that we CANNOT wait to share with you.
- The answers that we've received for your questions. This one, by Stefan Cassomenos, is our favourite. He totally distills what it is to be a composer, and leaves us with not only strategy, but encouragement. If you're a composer, Stefan's trio Plexus (with mentors Phil and Monica) wants to hear from you. Read his answer, then send him your ideas through our mentor page.
- Launching our Postcard series! We've heard from British Columbia, Chicago and Japan, and we're excited to share with you stories from Singapore and Russia very soon! Travelling abroad with your music is an absolutely exceptional experience, and we want to share with you the highs and lows to help you make decisions about where you go, and when you go.
- When Limelight shouted us out on Facebook. That was an awesome day! If you're not following us on Facebook, you totally should. You can find us here.
- Yesterday, we successfully funded our $5,000 Pozible campaign, thanks to YOU - our amazing readers. Thank you so much for your support, whether you donated, shared, or simply read along in the past months.
So, what's next in these parts? We'll be hearing some amazing stories from young ensembles, as well as introducing a two-part conducting masterclass. There'll be some awesome answers from mentors, as well as our usual columns - Demystifying Music Technology, Thoughts on an Undergrad and From the Organ Loft. As always, we're more than happy to hear from you! Head to our contact page to fill out the form, or email us at email@example.com.
We are having a launch event at the end of April, in Melbourne, and we can't wait to share it with you. Hit like on Facebook, and follow on Instagram to make sure you don't miss out on the updates. We're currently working incredibly hard on our music business e-book, with our partners, Colville Williams & Co., which is due to be released in the middle of the year.
While you're exploring our site today, head over to our About page, and check out our amazing sponsors. We couldn't have done it without them. If you are interested in sponsoring us, or advertising on our site, please drop us a line! We can't wait to have you.
Until next time, have a creative month!
Here's what we've been reading elsewhere this month: